Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eating for a Cause: Taste of the Nation

When I first heard about Taste of the Nation, I sent an email to my CFT ladies and husband marking the event as one I wanted to attend.  I have been disappointed by other “taste of” events in the past but this one changed my mind.  I desperately wanted to go.  The middle of the week and a relatively high price tag made it seem like a lofty goal, so imagine my surprise (and joy!) when late last week, my husband came home with two tickets.

Taste of the Nation, unlike many "taste of" events, is organized by the wonderful organization Share Our Strength, a nonprofit with a goal to end childhood hunger in America through their No Kid Hungry campaign.  As I have mentioned before, I really believe that no one is placed better than the food industry to work on this particular issue, and I hope that someday CFT will be able to join the campaign to end hunger.  Taste of the Nation is one of several fundraising events that Share Our Strength puts together, and a fabulous event it was.  From the terrific work of the volunteers, the amazing silent and live auction items, and the unbelievable talent of the chefs, it was a fundraiser to be reckoned with.  Taste of the Nation events occur through the spring and summer in 35 cities, so Charlotte is lucky to host one (though maybe not as lucky as it might seem, Charlotte is a fantastic city for fundraising and charitable events).

Indeed, Taste of the Nation met and exceeded expectation.  I enjoyed every minute of it, and every bite.  Everyone was unbelievably charming and informative. The drinks were spectacular and the food was delicious, although there was definitely some that stood out more than others.  In fact, this is a food blog, so let me give you the culinary highlights.

The first taste that made me swoon came from Ember grille.  They served poached egg with a curled bacon crisp on top.  The egg was topped with truffled sea salt and parmesan, and everything from the presentation to the melt-in-your-mouth texture was amazing.  

We were impressed with Vida Cantina’s presentation, but I remain unconvinced by their food (Please Vida, change my mind, I really want to like you!).  The elegant champagne flutes of shrimp salad definitely helped, though.


The ladies at Mert’s were absolutely lovely and my husband and I agreed that their dish had just the right amount of kick.


The stuffed hushpuppies at Mimosa Grill were my husband’s favorite, he even went back for seconds.  They were pretty spectacular, stuffed with anything you might imagine would taste good stuffed into a hushpuppy. 


I believe it was Upstream who was responsible for this seafood “sausage.”  It wasn’t my favorite taste-wise, but, then again, I’m not a scallop person (gasp!).  I found it a bit bland, but the presentation was amazing!


Rocky River Grille had a fabulous shrimp and chorizo dish, but I really fell in love with their bacon wrapped pork-stuffed jalapeno.  I could go for a few more of those today.  Wow.


Bricktop's had an amazing Chilean Sea Bass (aka Patagonian toothfish), which I wish I had been able to snap a photo of, but didn’t think about it until I’d already eaten it.  Nor did I take the photo of the fabulous steak and rice from the American Culinary Federation.

The lovely ladies at The Food Baby sponsored the Mez table, one of my favorites of the evening showcasing a seared tuna on French toast.  You heard me correctly.  This was my favorite single dish of the evening, and I went back for seconds, and would have liked thirds and fourths, but I restrained myself.


My favorite all around of the evening, however, goes to the Gallery at Ballantyne Hotel.  They were amazing.  Both the presentation and the taste was unbelievable.  From their chicken pate, to the breaded sweetbreads, to their scrumptious dessert.  Who could ask for more.  How pretty is this?


I got to taste the new Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey, which was fabulous (as were the folks serving), but I didn’t get a great photo of (Sorry) because, well, it was the end of the evening.  They were, however, impressed that I wanted it straight up, and ladies and gentlemen, when it comes out in stores, stock up.


And lets not forget dessert from the CPCC Baking and Pastry Arts program.  Anytime you want to send me some of those chocolates, please, email me and I’ll give you my address!


Next year, I hope all the CFT girls can join me in a trip to Taste of the Nation!  What a great event for a great cause!

~Aurora

No comments:

Post a Comment