Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Review: Paco's Tacos and Tequila

When I mentioned I was craving Mexican food, a friend of mine suggested we go have lunch at Paco’s Tacos.  I started giggling, Paco’s Tacos??  But I went anyway, and was happily surprised.  Sadly, I have forgotten to bring my camera during my several visits, so I will have to add photos later.

The restaurant is tucked away behind Williams Sonoma, just across the street from SouthPark Mall.  It is a bit dark inside, and appears cramped until you sit down.  I have always sat at the booths on the “lower” level, just a few steps down after you enter the restaurant.  It is right next to the window, so it seems much lighter.

I started with the guacamole prepared tableside.  One of my dining companions was sensitive to onions and they were very accommodating, leaving out the onions and adding tomatoes and garlic.  I began with the lunch combo number two, which includes a pork tamale, a chicken and avocado enchilada, and a “shake down shrimp taco”.  I went for this dish because of the variety, but also because it was the only way to try the tamale, one of my favorite traditional Mexican dishes. 

I can’t say that either the pork tamale or the chicken and avocado enchilada were terribly memorable, although both were perfectly acceptable.  I enjoyed the shrimp taco, however, with nicely fried shrimp and a well-spiced topping of chipotle ranch sauce and Cholula.

On a later visit, I changed it up and tried the “Big River Fish Taco”, white fish topped with red onion, cilantro and mango salsa.  This dish quickly made it on my list of Paco’s Tacos favorites.  However, my husband then gave me some of his pork carnitas.  This was truly the star of the show.  The carnitas were amazingly tender and tasty, a definite must-have for my next trip!  

Paco’s Tacos is a great place for everyone.  They include a children’s menu, as well as a new gluten-free selection.  I haven’t had a chance to check out the bar, but they have great drinks specials, often advertised on their Facebook page.  The service has been consistently nice, and neither too fast or two slow.

Granted, this restaurant is not what I consider a very traditional “Mexican” restaurant, but it doesn’t pretend to be.  It proudly advertises it’s cuisine Tex-Mex, and that it does very very well.

Paco’s Tacos and Tequila
6401 Morrison Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28211
Paco's Tacos & Tequila on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment